Pages

Friday 5 June 2015

Søren Kragh Andersen - "Some teams have called my agent and said, 'he's really good'"

In 5 years time, the name Søren Kragh Andersen will be known by even the most part-time of cycling fans. He is a supremely talented all rounder and seems to have the mentality to deal with the World Tour. I arranged this interview before his great victory in the Tour des Fjords where he rode away from the breakaway on the hilly finale into Sandnes. Before that victory it was going to be an interview with a very promising young rider who should be able to get into the World Tour in the next few years. It's now an interview with a guy who will almost certainly join the top level next year and who has a ceiling of talent similar to that of Peter Sagan. For this interview we talked about stage race consistency, racing in China and we saw whether Søren's quiz knowledge is as good as his cycling ability.

Bike Route Hub: You came second overall in the recent Tour des Fjords and you won a stage. When you look back, how big do you think that result was?
Soren Kragh Andersen: That was a big result. But of course I have got some big victories earlier in the season as well. I knew I was in good shape, but of course Tour des Fjords was a very big race and to come second overall was one of my biggest victories in my career. It's very important for me and my career.
A career changing victory in the Tour des Fjords

BRH: You haven't finished lower than 25th overall in a stage race since last August. How have you managed to be so consistent?
SKA: I am working hard on my mentality, my head and how I think. I think that is why I am so stable and able to perform consistently. I wake up every morning and feel my body and if I don't feel good then I listen to my body and that is why I can be so consistent.

BRH: Do you feel confident racing with the World Tour guys?
SKA: Yes, in fact I feel more confident in a race like Tour de Fjords or Tour of Denmark than in races I do more at the junior level. I hope I can ride at the World Tour level next year because I think I can perform at that level and I think I will be even better at that level.

BRH: When you won the stage of the Tour des Fjords Amets Txurruka said that you had the speed of a track guy and were too fast. Firstly, how does it feel to be given those kind of compliments by a fellow rider?
SKA: That was so amazing when guys like Kristoff or Boasson-Hagen come up to me the day after the victory and say congratulations and you were really strong that was really great. That is just wonderful to hear.
Racing in the U23 Danish National Time Trial Champion
colours

BRH: Secondly, you can time trial, climb and clearly you can sprint, what kind of rider do you think you will turn into?
SKA: That is difficult to say, I'm only 20 years old. What I will be really good at in the future I really don't know, the future will show that. At the moment I am an all rounder and I can do well in almost everything but one day I will focus on one discipline and maybe I will be a better climber but I don't know.

BRH: Earlier this season you won the first stage of the ZLM Roompot Tour which was raced on the same roads as the first stage of the Tour de France will be, can you tell us a bit about that race and what you think might happen in the Tour?
SKA: That was a Nation's Cup race with the National team and I had just come back from a week at Circuit des Ardennes where I was sick and had to pull out of the race. I was thinking for the ZLM tour that I would just take the race as training but on the first few days I was feeling really good and so I went on the attack. Since that victory I've been feeling great and I've just been hungry for more.
In the Tour, if there is a lot of wind then the crosswind will clearly impact the race and I think the riders will be coming one by one across the finish line if it is windy. But if there is no wind and no rain then the race will just be a sprint and there will be no chance of doing a hard race. So I hope for the riders that they will be racing in crosswinds because then it will be more fun.

Get used to seeing Søren's victory celebrations!
BRH: Towards the end of last season you were racing in China, what was that like?
SKA: I came in with really bad shape, we were travelling over there just for fun. The races were really fun and it was a good race to take part in in the winter. If my team go back there this year then I will definitely go with them. That was a really good race. I was really surprised about the organisation and it was very safe.

BRH: You have the National Championships coming up, what is your ambition there?
SKA: I am defending my U23 time trial championships and I hope I can do well but I haven't been training for it I have just been training for the stage races, but I will see what will happen. Then the road race on Sunday, a lot of guys will look at me because I am the favourite but the course is really hard so I hope I can still be there on the last two laps. One of my team mates will be there as well so we can take the jersey back for the team.

BRH: Can you tell us a bit about what your schedule looks like for the rest of the season?
SKA: I really don't know. I have focussed on this last month of the first part of the season and then after that I will talk to my agent about next year and who wants me, if somebody wants me. But right now I just dream and dream about it. The Tour of Denmark is the biggest goal for me for the whole season so I prepare for that and I think about that race really often.

BRH: You've had some great results, not just this year but in previous years. Have you had any World Tour offers?
SKA: No, no I don't have any right now. But I hope some will come.

The Kragh Andersen brothers go 1-2 
BRH: Have you had any rumours? I know that Katusha look at Norway and Denmark a lot, have you had any discussions?
SKA: No, I can't tell you right now. There's nothing official. Some teams have called my agent and said "hello, he's good". Not more than that but I hope so. I dream and I hope I will be on a World Tour team.

BRH: I saw your brother's, Asbjørn Kragh Andersen, results which are really impressive. Do you think you guys can be the new Schlecks of cycling?
SKA: He is on the same team and he is very strong. I hope we can give cycling a boost and some more kids will go on their bikes and have fun racing. I'm not a celebrity or rock star yet though.

BRH: I like to end all my interviews with a cycling quiz, so far no one has got them all right but if you do then I think it will be a big victory than your Tour des Fjords stage victory.
SKA: Yes I think so, that will be big!

BRH: First question, in 2012 you came 10th in the Junior World Championships. One guy finished ahead of you and this year he has won two stages of the Tour of Langkawi and won the points jersey in that race. Can you name him?
SKA: I don't know... (It was Caleb Ewan 1-0 BikeRouteHub) Ahh Caleb Ewan, yes I know him.

BRH: Number 2, who is the current national champion of Finland?
SKA: Finland? Yeah, I don't know (Jussi Veikannen 2-0)

BRH: Lastly, who am I? I'm a Danish cyclist who rode for CSC and Saxo Bank for 8 years, my best result was 3rd in the 2011 Paris-Tours.
SKA: I think it could be Nikki Sorensen or Lars Bak (It was Kasper Klostergaard 3-0 Bike Route Hub)

BRH: At least your cycling is better than your cycling knowledge!
SKA: Yes I think so.

BRH: Thank you very much for your time Søren.
SKA: You're welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment